Friday, September 13, 2013

First Week of Classes - Again

...not for me.
But on September 11, the semester for the normal students at Kansai Gaidai started. It was noticeable. People were everywhere. The convenience store was crowded. The area between McDonald's and a cafeteria on campus was packed. I could hardly find a space for my bike in the parking lot. But yesterday and today, at least from when I was on campus, it was seemingly less crowded.
I'm going to look into student activities soon. I won't join a club, but I'd like to join a circle (which is like a club but less intense).

Unlike last week, it hasn't been raining everyday. Instead, the heat has become more unbearable. It's hot and humid. I've decided that the heat in Korea and Japan is by far my least favorite weather. (I would say summer, but Korea was already terribly hot in April this year)
It's inconvenient, it makes me feel greasy, and for once in my life my shirt is stained with sweat just by walking down the street in the shade.

I have some more pictures

cute ^_^









pictures from a convenience store




the bike parking lot I use on campus (since the Japanese semester started)




more pictures of my bike!

The only way I lock my bike in order to secure it is by using this ring on the back wheel. The black thing on the wheel is there to keep my umbrella from getting stuck in the wheel.





another way in which bicycles are like vehicles: you need a key to ride it


I got my parking stickers so my bike won't be towed


some of my school supplies



saw this in the CIE


I haven't had to spend any money on books!! Teachers give us reading packets for free.
I'm taking two gender studies classes. This was my homework on girl studies last week



gummies :)


pictures from the restroom in one of the new buildings on campus



these things are almost always on the wall in public restrooms. You push a button so that it makes noise and no one will here you in the stall. Sometimes there's a sensor so it turns on automatically.
Personally, I think this is too much and I find it unnecessary.
I hear these being used all the time. Some Japanese people say that only older people tend to use them, but my experience from being in restrooms full of college students has indicated otherwise.
I also saw these in South Korea sometimes, but I never noticed them being used.



Many toilets in Japan have whole control panels


Japan also has traditional toilets, which are in the ground for squatting. Even the new buildings have a couple among all the Western toilets.
In my experience, traditional toilets are more common in Japan than in South Korea.


There will be no class on Monday because of Respect for the Aged Day. The following Monday is Autumnal Equinox Day, which means that I have two three-day weekends in a row!

On Wednesday I met with my speaking partner and her friend for lunch.
Yesterday, I went to my home visit family's house for dinner. They're very nice! I was also pleased because I can't cook at all.
On both occasions we only spoke in Japanese.

I've been in at least four Japanese homes now. You can easily tell that Japan is a densely populated country. Houses tend to be narrow and tall. There's often only a foot of space between them. Also, stairs are rather steep. At the house yesterday, I couldn't even fit my entire foot on a step.

My plans for this weekend are to go to Osaka and Nara. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment