Tuesday, September 10, 2013

大阪 (1)

Pictures from the first few times I went to Osaka







I think it's a little early for Halloween, but I realized it is already September after all...


a few pictures from Nipponbashi (anime/otaku shopping area)





there are a lot of maid cafes in this area





many girls dressed as maids like this stand outside to advertise for their maid cafe


I went to a maid cafe for the first time and it was an interesting experience. All the waitresses are girls who are dressed as maids. Actually, I realized that my friends and I were the only female customers. Aside from drinks, there are unique things on the menu. At the particular cafe we went to, you could choose to pay 300 yen to have a maid slap you. You can also pay to take a picture with them.
As a joke, we had one of our friends get slapped by a maid


I found the whole concept odd. I didn't really understand what was going on. We had to make cute hand movements with the maid when she served our drinks. There were anime wall scrolls of girls on the walls and random anime merchandise everywhere. One TV was playing a Momoiro Clover Z concert, which I realized is a group that could never ever exist in the West (or outside of Japan, for that matter). Shortly after the maid slapped our friend, the TV that was playing an Arashi concert switched to a Kyary Pamyu Pamyu concert. I sat there in awe, wondering what kind of strange universe I had been dropped into.








at an Italian restaurant


No comments:

Post a Comment