Sunday, September 15, 2013

Cooking

Let me tell you about my life. I don't know how to cook.
Adults usually cook for me. When they don't, I either try to find something simple to eat, buy something, or don't eat at all. The only edible thing I can make is noodles and Marmorkuchen (cake).
When I'm living in a dorm at my university in the U.S., I always eat at a dining hall. When I was in South Korea I didn't have a kitchen (which wasn't an issue). I always went out to eat at a restaurant or bought things at bakeries, convenience stores, Subway, or ddeokbokki stands. These places were nearby.

Here in Japan at the seminar house, there is a kitchen. Most people make things here. Not taking advantage of the kitchen isn't really an option.
In my case, I usually eat fruit for breakfast, rice with something at a cafeteria on campus for lunch, and then dinner in the kitchen. For the first time in my life, I was making a lot of instant noodles upon arriving here. I didn't even know how to do that. This week I was informed that I wasn't doing it correctly.
Well, I hear that instant noodles are unhealthy and I'm sick of eating them, so I've decided to stop buying them. There are grocery stores in Hirakata that I frequent. I'm not fond of the pre-made packaged meals. I don't know what I eat... I feel like I've been buying a lot of food though.

Anyway, this week I actually bought some meat and mushrooms for my first attempt at cooking!
I'm completely clueless when it comes to food and kitchens, but it worked out! I felt proud ^^;





It tasted great! I was surprised. I didn't know I could make unique things like this that taste good. Normally I'd go to restaurants. I think it's wonderful that delicious things can be made at home.

A couple more pictures from the campus bookstore :)




After my successful attempt at cooking lunch on Friday, my friends made dinner for me ^_^




Manga at a convenience store. Doraemon is soooo cute



At Hirakata station




These have been some of my random recent photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment