Saturday, December 14, 2013

Moving Out

The last day of the semester was yesterday. Most students were done before Friday, but that was the official day. Now that the semester has ended, people are leaving. Many are returning home to their countries, some are traveling in Asia, and others are staying in Japan.
It hadn't really occurred to me that people are going home. I was surprised on Friday when I saw futons laid out in the hallway. That means someone moved out.
Earlier this week I overheard classmates talking about how they have flights back to the U.S. in a week. For them only a few days remain now. I find all this a little strange. It's still sinking in.
I haven't really thought about what the semester ending means. Probably because not much is changing for me, at least not yet.
I'm not sad. Though I've said goodbye to a few people already and I have friends who will leave Japan soon, I feel fine. It may be because I don't have to stress about my last days in Japan and somehow pack everything to go to the U.S. yet. My time in Japan is not over.
I don't know what I'm going on about anymore... It is apparent that people are leaving and I think that's especially the case here because I live in the smallest seminar house and I know everyone by name and face. I've worried about living here next semester because it could feel strange and sad to have different, new people here instead of the ones I've grown used to living with. Maybe that will affect me later on, once the spring semester starts.
I guess it's kind of a shame that the time has come for everyone to go different ways. On the other hand I don't care because I'm staying in Japan for another semester and I get to travel during the break with my friends.
Anyway, here are pictures from my seminar house. Evidence of the end









As for me, unlike what the title of this post might indicate, I don't move out for another week! That doesn't mean I haven't started packing yet though. I'm going to pack very lightly for winter break.
I should clarify things. Nobody from the fall semester can stay in a seminar house longer than December 21, which is in one week from today (there is an exception which I will get to). That's the last move-out date. For the extension students and those who will be studying here for the spring semester, the seminar houses open on January 25. They open early, before the start of the semester, for orientation week. Extension students (those who study at KGU for two semesters) have the option of choosing to live in a seminar house during winter break. Of the four seminar houses, only two are used for winter housing. Seminar house 2 is one of them. I know people who chose winter housing, and since they already live in one of the seminar houses designated for winter, they remain in the same room. That doesn't mean they've escaped from the tedious check-out procedures though. They also have to clean everything, check out, and then check back in, even though their living situation doesn't change. Winter housing costs additional money, of course.
I decided not to live in the seminar house during the break (between the move-out date of December 21 and the move-in date of January 25). I already had two trips booked for January and I knew I wanted to spend time in Tokyo as well. My friends and I realized it wouldn't be worth it to sign up for winter housing since we'd be spending a great amount of time elsewhere anyway, where we'd also have to pay. So I planned my trip to Tokyo and made more bookings after realizing I wouldn't have use for winter housing. I've already spent a lot of time in Kansai, and I'll be living here again for the spring semester anyway.
Since I'm going to travel a bit during winter break, I need to pack lightly. KGU conveniently offers storage for extension students. I can pack up my things and put them in a trunk room here. Once they're in there I won't have access to them until January 25. What I find a bit inconvenient is that the last day I can put something into storage is on Monday and I'm staying here until Saturday. Oh well...
I've spent most of today preparing for winter break. I typed up a lot of information because I like to plan ahead. I can easily print things before moving out. I also packed most of my stuff today. I had already separated what I'm taking for winter break and what I'm leaving here. I was reminded that packing is the most miserable thing ever. I hate it! My room got really messy. I realized I have a lot of stuff and I don't know what to do with it. My room is still messy but it's also emptier in some ways and I have most storage items packed. I'm going to finish packing everything on Monday.

One week left in Hirakata!

No comments:

Post a Comment