Friday, October 11, 2013

Weather

I know I said I wasn't going to post until next week but I just quickly wanted to write about something.

It's closing in on mid-October and it's still quite warm here. It's very humid as well, though it could be a lot worse.
I arrived here in Kansai in August and not much has changed since then. I rarely wear long pants, I still wear sandals everyday, and I never wear a hoodie, jacket, or sweatshirt unless the air conditioning is too cold or it's the evening, when it tends to be cooler. After being here for weeks I still go out wearing flip flops and t-shirts everyday. Air conditioning is still being used in classrooms at school and in my bedroom. According to the weather forecast, it's normally in the low 80s or high 70s Fahrenheit. I'm from the northeast of the U.S., where the weather would never feel this hot around this time of year. I'm wondering if it will ever get significantly cool.

I may have complained about this before, but when it rains it's no joke. Another typhoon passed through this week, bringing tons of rain. When it rains it pours. Water gets everywhere. Since I've come here, rain means that if you go outside for a brief moment it will look like you went swimming with your clothes on. This week I rode to school on my bike in the morning wearing a rain poncho, but my pants up to above my knees were soaking wet and there's no way to avoid your feet from being completely drenched either. Before coming here, I thought rain once in a while was nice, but now I dread it because there's no way I'd ever want to go outside in that unbelievable downpour.

I've also noticed that the sun sets fairly early. It's fall so this is understandable. Maybe it just seems strange to me because it's still hot out. But I was surprised about it getting dark so soon. A few weeks ago I realized that it was getting dark around 6:00 pm, which is when one of my classes ends. Now, it's completely dark out by that time.

Summary: it's October but the weather is really hot, rain is more like buckets of water being dumped on you, and the sky is dark by 6 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment