Sunday, November 17, 2013

November So Far

I have some pictures I've taken this month.

Several weeks ago I noticed that the basket on my bicycle is asymmetrical. It became deformed :(





I have no idea how this could have happened. My only thought is that perhaps the shape was messed up when my bicycle fell over in a bike parking garage a while ago. It made a loud sound when it hit the concrete.

Here's another picture of the lock on my bike. Even if you don't see any bikes attached to something with a lock, it could very well be secure because of this ring on the back wheel.
I'm so used to needing a key to ride my bike.


food!









Everyone in my seminar house received blankets on November 11. We get extra blankets because the weather is colder. Also, Japanese homes have terrible insulation, which is why more blankets in the winter are necessary and explains why noise complaints may arise in neighborhoods.
Our air conditioners also function as heaters. There's one in every room. You're supposed to turn it off before you go to bed, and there's a convenient button you can press that will turn off the AC/heater in one hour.
Honestly, I don't have much use for my extra blanket. The futon blanket is already big, and although I always turn off my heater, by the time I wake up in the morning I've usually kicked the extra blanket away because it's too hot.
Maybe that's just me? One of my friends has tried sleeping without the heater being turned on but she wakes up at night because it's too cold. Meanwhile I could never sleep comfortably with my heater on all night.


at a convenience store


the front part of campus


Mos burgers at Mos Burger are really good!



I saw this poster in a bookstore near the station. I actually saw that movie in theatres a week ago.


a thing with red bean paste inside




at one of the cafeterias on campus. Now I always eat curry rice when I go there because it tastes good and I never eat it at the seminar house. I also like miso soup.


I received a mini notebook and pen as well as a gift card to the university bookstore for volunteering to practice English with Japanese high school students who visited campus





I'm seeing more and more Christmas decorations when I go out, including Christmas trees at stores. In the U.S. a lot of people think Christmas decorations and all that shouldn't start until after Thanksgiving, which is at the end of November. That's when the Christmas season starts. Thanksgiving is the second-biggest holiday after Christmas, every year on the fourth Thursday in November. Here in Japan there have been Christmas decorations since early November. It's way too early! Christmas isn't even an official holiday in Japan. People still have fun with the decorations but it's mostly focused on couples and gift-giving. My friend had to try really hard to explain to a Japanese friend of hers that Santa Claus has nothing to do with Jesus. There is Christmas in Japan but it's totally different. :/




I bought another pair of sneakers because it's too cold for sandals.


No comments:

Post a Comment