Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Handmade Udon

Last night an udon-making event was held in the seminar house I live in. We made our own udon to eat! Udon is a type of Japanese noodle. I looked through my entire food tag but apparently I only have one picture of udon.


Seminar house 2 has the smallest number of residents, but even so there was a lot of us that gathered to make udon. We divided ourselves into smaller groups, from 4 to 6 people. I think there were at least eight groups.

First, we got a bowl full of flour. Then we mixed it with water that had a bit of salt in it



We made a ball out of the dough, and then wrapped it in plastic and let it sit for 15 minutes


After that, we rolled out the dough and made it flat



We had to fold it to create three layers, so that the noodles will be long




Each group took turns going up to this table so that every person could choose tempura


My group went last so there weren't many options left. We just got what was left. I was happy with pumpkin tempura though!


Other things that we would add to our tempura once they're cooked



Pots for boiling






These look nothing like udon... (do a Google image search and you'll know what I mean)



Tada! Then we all added soup


Toppings to choose from


My finished udon meal :)


いただきます


2 comments:

  1. You are making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super - das moechte ich auch mal machen - ein bischen erinnert mich der Teig an Spaetzle - welches Mehl ist es denn? Reismehl oder Getreidemehl. und kommen da keine Eier in den Teig?

    ReplyDelete