Thursday, March 13, 2014

ハーフ

I was fortunate to be able to go to a screening of the documentary film Hafu!
One of the professors, who teaches classes on visual anthropology, Japanese sign language, and globalization, arranged for a free screening of the film at the university this week. I'm glad to have had an opportunity to finally watch this film!
I posted some links last year having to do with Japan's hafu here.

"Hafu" is a Japanese word taken from the English word "half". It refers to those who are half- Japanese, meaning that one parent is Japanese and the other is not.

I thought Hafu was a great film, and I highly recommend it. I'm glad they showed various "hafu" who each had diverse experiences and identities. My impression is that in Japan, hafu are often thought to be bilingual half-white people, like the attractive hafu models and celebrities that are often seen in media. However, that image is limiting, and there are many other types of hafu who have different lives and experiences.

Anyway, here is the trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment